My name is Katie McDonald and I’m the founder and writer of MotherlyBiz – a blog that gabs about anything and everything to do with motherhood, business and the challenging but oh-so-rewarding life of working moms.
Don’t be discouraged by the red background in the video – yeah, I know it’s bright and a little much (to say the least!), but I filmed it this way for a reason: #1, this is actually my home office and #2, let this color be an indication of my personality (bold, fiery and passionate). And one more thing you might find interesting: this video was done in a single cut. No editing, no retakes. It is what it is. That’s what this blog is all about. Raw, unedited, candid content.
A Little Background
I’m an entrepreneur. Have been for 6+ years now. I run two small businesses from my home: Senior Service Directory and Striking Content (just a couple shameless plugs there for you). I don’t think it’s possible for me to love my career any more than I already do. Being a small business owner is a huge part of who I am and my entrepreneurial spirit defines me.
A few months ago, something new came along that now defines another very important part of me: my son. I’m a new mom!
Along with this new title comes a whirlwind of new discoveries, fresh knowledge, important lessons and practical wisdom that I’ve learned along the way. And I’m here to share my experiences with you.
The “Why” Behind My Story
Why did I start MotherlyBiz and why do I think you’ll give two sh*ts about what I have to say?
- Like I said, I’ve been through a lot.
- This blog combines three of my biggest passions: business, writing and motherhood.
- I think this world is lacking a voice in the realm of “motherhood” AND “business”. And you know what? The number of mom entrepreneurs is a hugely growing population. (Side note: see how I said “voice” and not “network”, “member group” or “club”? MotherlyBiz is an open dialogue – not a money sucking initiative that won’t get you anywhere.)
- I’m a blunt, straightforward, opinionated gabber. And that means, you’re getting raw, get-right-down-to-it, non-sugar-coated content. Every time.
- This is an opportunity for you to learn from my mistakes, laugh at my stories, cry at my perils, get ideas from my experiences and share your opinions on it all.
Just What Exactly Does “MotherlyBiz” Mean?
MotherlyBiz hits both sides of the equation: motherhood and business.
It’s about “motherly business” – as in anything and everything to do with being a mom.
And it’s about “motherly business” – as in entrepreneurship, companies, business and the special motherliness we put into our career lives.
Maybe you’re a new mom too. Or maybe you’re a seasoned mom who knows a heck of a lot more than I do. You might run a large company or freelance from home. Whoever you are and whatever you do, I want to hear from you! Comment, connect and share.
MotherlyBizin’ is a journey. Let’s travel it together.